This Month’s Resources
- Blog: Turning Tactics to Reality: How Independent Community Hospitals Can Take Action
- Professional Dev: Talk community hospital independence with other hospital finance leaders on LinkedIn
- Recommended Modules
Oi Health: Healthcare News Roundup
Every month, we provide a curated overview of the healthcare finance news impacting hospitals, health systems, critical access providers, and community hospitals.
Community hospitals have a long financial road ahead of them. This means that keeping up with CFOs who have a strong history of leadership and proven success in their organizations could be a smart move to curate inspiration and new perspectives.
Becker’s has put together a list of 50 community hospital CFOs to know for 2022. It includes leaders with decades of experience who manage multi-billion dollar operations. It also brings together leaders responsible for budget planning, materials management, and health information management.
This article from Kaiser Health Network explores the role of private equity investors and their move to buy up more of the U.S.healthcare system. It highlights astronomical growth over the last two decades and the impact on vulnerable communities who’d previously relied on independent hospitals.
The article includes the perspective of a clinician who saw the transition to private equity ownership and patients who’ve been directly impacted by closures, supply shortages, and shifts in hospital spending.
This article from HealthLeaders Media explores how hospitals can navigate pandemic recovery through improved efficiency in operations and patient care. While the pandemic has limited staff and supplies, these new constraints can be a source of inspiration in exploring new opportunities and creating improved efficiencies.
The article stresses the importance of reliable data as reimbursement models shift to value-based contract arrangements and quality reporting becomes more critical to hospital health.
The most recent workforce survey from healthcare staffing vendor Vivian reviews the attitudes of healthcare professionals about jobs, mental health, career, and other key factors in the clinician experience. It also documents shifts from last year’s survey. Some key findings include:
- Clinicians planning to leave healthcare: 67%
- Clinicians planning to leave in the next 6 months: 11.3%
- Top factors that would affect decisions to stay: Compensation, mental well being, staff to patient ratios
- Those that believe morale has gotten worse in the last year: 76.4%
To be notified of future hospital finance education in your inbox, sign up below.
Hospital CFO Moves
Recent hospital CFO moves include:
- Modesto Gato has moved up from associate VP of Finance to CFO at Florida hospital, Broward Health Coral Springs.
- David Wrigley has been promoted to executive VP and CFO at Cedars-Sinai Health System. He will also serve as secretary of the finance and investment committees of the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center board of directors.
- Kyle Vining has been named CFO of McLaren Port Huron Hospital in Michigan after serving as director of finance at Dearborn and Farmington Hills hospitals of Beaumont Health.
- Hilda Dalfonso has been made CFO for two hospitals and five sites of care affiliated with Corpus Christi Medical center.
- Summer Owen has been named CFO of Great Plains Health, as of June 13.
- These 10 hospitals are seeking CFOs
- Allegheny General Hospital of Pittsburgh, PA
- Cedar Creek Hospital of Saint Johns, MI
- Desert View Hospital of Pahrump, NV
- Doctors Hospital of Augusta, GA
- Dukes Memorial Hospital of Peru, IN
- Elizabethtown Community Hospital of New York
- Lutheran Hospital of Fort Wayne, IN
- Moberly Regional Medical Center of MO
- Northwest Medical Center of Tucson, AZ
- Woodland Heights Medical Center of Lufkin, TX
Review our last Hospital Finance Ed topic: Turning Data into Labor Answers